Municipality of Apacilagua Choluteca Honduras


Municipality of Apacilagua

On June 29th, a grand feast is prepared in honor of Apacilagua’s Patron Saint, Saint Peter.

apacilagua

apacilagua

 

Apacilagua Weather

Click for Choluteca, Honduras Weather Forecast

TOWNSHIPS (VILLAGES)
IN APACILAGUA 0602

  1. (060201 etc.) Apacilagua
  2. La Albarrada
  3. La Garza
  4. Los Limones
  5. Los Mezcales
  6. Monte Grande
  7. San Felipe
  8. Somuina

APACILAGUA CHOLUTECA HISTORY

The first settlers of Apacilagua were a group of Indians called, “Texiguat” from Los Olmecas. They were situated at Los Guatalones, a flat, fertile land along the banks of the Choluteca River. A flood destroyed their homes, and they sought a new place, the hill of the white land. Archaeological objects found in both locations show that these were the early settlers of Apacilagua.

In the late 1700’s and early 1800’s a Spaniard called Sebastián de Espinales, established himself as a feudal lord, with a small native village who served him. According tohistorical data, in 1831, Sebastián donated one squarekilometer for the foundation of Apacilagua.

The town was burned by the revolutionary forces of General Domingo Vásquez. The Municipality of Apacilagua was formed again in 1887, under the administration of General Luís Bogra. The Apacilagua township was formed of the seven villages of Mezcales, San Felipe, Albarrada, Somuina, Los Limones, San Felipe, and La Garza.
Apacilagua - Choluteca, Honduras

APACILAGUA GENERAL INFORMATION

The Apacilagua township is located in the Department of Choluteca. Its topography is irregular, with a great deal of mountains and flatlands suitable for agriculture. It also has the Choluteca River as a water resource.

11,000 to 12,000 people live in Apacilagua. Approximately 80% of the population is spread out into rural lands, and the remaining 20% live in the urban areas. The population is Mestizo; there are no other ethnic groups.

Most people work in agriculture and livestock; production is of a small scale due to drought. Dairy products are made by hand for local production. Milk and cattle are also sold in regional markets. In some fertile slopes, lemons, vegetables, and beans grow. This minimal production is also brought to market. There are two agri-business farms that provide temporary employment for some 500 families. They cultivate melon, watermelon and okra. These products are exported to markets in the United States and Europe.


Buildings in Apacilagua consist of the Municipal Council, the Celeo Arias Moncada kindergarten, the “Manuel Bonilla” school in two annexes, a community hall, quarters for the national police, a court with a roof, three churches (one Catholic and two Evangelical), and a health center.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login