Honduras vs Guatemala
The 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship is a scheduled age-restricted (Under 17 year old “Sub17”) international soccer tournament organized by CONCACAF. The competition will be used to determine the four CONCACAF representatives at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile. The competition is being hosted in San Pedro Sula, Honduras at the Estadio Francisco Morazán.
The final match of the CONCACAF Championship will be Honduras vs Guatemala on March 11th 2015. This is a must win or tie game for Honduras following the tie on Sunday night vs the USA
Following Jamaica’s defeat of the USA by a score of 1 – 0 Honduras is poised to take 1st place in the U17 Championship if it defeats Guatemala tonight. >>>> Well Honduras did Win!! The U17 World Cup will be held in Chile during October and November 2015.
Honduras has defeated Guatemala by a final score of 2 – 1 and classifies for the U17 World Cup in Chile!
Honduras defeat over Guatemala tonight gives the Seleccion Catracha sole possession of first place in the CONCACF U17 World Championship Qualifiers.
Honduras vs Guatemala Highlights – Video
Minute 38: Honduras takes the lead again thanks to Darixon Vuelto the score is now Honduras 2 Guatemala 1
Minute 25: Esteban Garcia scores for Guatemala tying the match at 1 – 1
Minute 8: Penalty shot Goal by Allan Rivera puts Honduras up 1 – 0 vs Guatemala
Honduras (3-2-0, 11 points) clinched a second straight trip to the FIFA U-17 World Cup, earning a 2-1 win over 10-man Guatemala (1-1-3, 4 points) in the 2015 CONCACAF Under-17 Championship on Wednesday.
The tournament host finished atop Group A, one point ahead of Jamaica (3-1-1, 10 points) and the United States (3-1-1, 10 points). The Jamaicans claimed second place on the head-to-head tiebreaker thanks to their 1-0 win over the U.S. in the second game of a tripleheader at the Estadio Francisco Morazan.
Honduras took the lead and gained a man advantage early in the encounter, when goalkeeper Gilder Lemus fouled Darixon Vuelto in the penalty area, causing him to flip in the air. Referee Mathieu Bourdeau pointed to the spot and showed Lemus a yellow for his infraction. Then, Guatemalan defender Mario Rodas was ejected after kicking the ball at Bourdeau from eight-yards away.
When the dust finally settled in the eighth minute, team captain Allan Rivera fired his penalty kick into the lower-left corner to give Honduras a 1-0 lead.
Despite being reduced to 10 players, Guatemala did not modify its game plan and leveled in the 26th minute. From 35-yards out, Ganzalo Deras lofted a threatening free kick into the Honduran goal box, where Esteban Garcia headed forcefully into the back of the net at the right post.
Garcia nearly scored again, but after a long down the middle for a ball played out of the back, his shot from outside the box was saved by right-diving goalkeeper Jose Aguiluz.
Vuelto would net what proved to be the game-winning goal in 38th minute. Oslin Sevilla made a strong run down the left towards the top of the penalty area. He cut inside, drew a defender and played a square pass to an unmarked Vuelto. The forward took two touches, before releasing his shot, which hit off a charging Lemus and drifted into the net.
The second half produced limited scoring opportunities and as the final whistle blew, the home crowd of 11,512, players and coaches celebrated yet another World Cup qualification.
Honduras will next meet the Group B winner in Sunday’s final, while Jamaica and the U.S. advance to single-game playoffs, which will decide the Confederation’s last two representatives at Chile 2015.
NOTES: Honduras qualified for three previous U-17 World Cups (2007, 2009, 2013).
HONDURAS: José Aguiluz, Wesly Decas, Allan Rivera, Raúl Galeano, Denil Maldonado, Kevin Castro, Darwin Diego, David Sanchez, Wisdom Quaye, Oslin Sevilla y Darixon Vuelto.
Coach: José Valladares.
GUATEMALA: Ganzalo Deras, Fernando Fuentes, David Ramos, Mario Rodas, Álvaro Velásquez, Esteban García, Gilder Lemus, Moises Orellana, Richard Rodriguez, Erick Soto y Víctor Valdez.
Coach: Juan Manuel Funes.
Honduras v Guatemala, 9:30 p.m. ET
All-time CU17 series is even: Wins (2 each), Draws (1), Losses (2 each) … GF: Honduras 5, Guatemala 3)
– Last CU17 meeting: August 20, 1996 (at Arima, Trinidad & Tobago) – Guatemala 1, Honduras 0
Honduras Quick Facts
- Group A Results: 2-0 win v Jamaica (Darixon Vuelto 12′; Jorge Alvarez 78′); 1-1 draw v Cuba (Foslyn Grant 49’); 2-0 win v Trinidad & Tobago (Dylan Andrade 53′; Wisdom Quaye 90’+1); 2-2 draw v USA (Victor Matamoros 17’; David Sanchez 87’)
- CU17 Appearances: 16
- CU17 Titles: 0
- Best CU17 Finish: Fourth Place – 4 (1983, 1985, 1987, 2013)
- Qualification Method: Host
- All-Time CU17 Record: GP – 59; W – 17; D – 14; L – 28; GF – 71; GA – 102
- Has not won consecutive games in the same CU17 tournament since 1985 (4-0 win v Panama, 4-1 win v Guatemala)
- 4W-3D-2L in the game after a draw in the same CU17 tournament
- As a 15-year-old, forward Darixon Vuelto became the youngest Honduran to score in a Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League match, netting in a 4-1 loss to Luis Angel Firpo on October 23, 2013
- FIFA U-17 World Cup Appearances: 3 (2007, 2009, 2013)
Guatemala Quick Facts
- Group A Results: 4-1 win Trinidad & Tobago (Diego Raymundo 2′, 54’; Victor Valdez 10′; Abel Lemus 45’+2); 2-1 loss v Jamaica (John Mendez 26’); 4-1 loss v USA (Erick Soto 65’); 0-0 draw v Cuba
- CU17 Appearances: 10
- CU17 Titles: 0
- Best CU17 Finish: Quarterfinals – 1 (2013)
- Qualification Method: Central America – Playoff Winner
- Qualification Record: GP – 4; W – 2; D – 0; L – 2; GF – 5; GA – 5
- Qualifying Scorers: Esteban Garcia (2 goals); Abel Lemus, John Mendez, Diego Raymundo (1)
- Prevailed over El Salvador in a two-legged Central American playoff to qualify for CU17 (1st leg: 1-0 home loss; 2nd leg: 2-0 away win)
- 3W-3D-10L in last 16 CU17 matches
- Four-goal outburst v Trinidad & Tobago set new team record most goals in a single CU17 game
- Posted 2 shutouts in last 16 CU17 matches
- Draw v Cuba prevented losing 3 straight games in same CU17 tournament for the first time since 1985
- Scored 1 goal or fewer in 7 of last 9 CU17 games
- FIFA U-17 World Cup Appearances: 0
More about Honduras Soccer
More about Honduras
Previous Honduras vs Guatemala 2015 Soccer Matches
Honduras qualifies for the U20 FIFA 2015 New Zealand World Cup by defeating Guatemala with a final score of 2 – 1 in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Honduras U20 vs Guatemala U20
Honduras 2 Guatemala 1
Michaell Chirinos – Honduras
Alberth Elis – Honduras
Diego Álvarez – Guatemala
Honduras took the 1-0 lead in the 39th minute with a goal from left winger Michaell Chirinos. The Guatemalan back line couldn’t handle a ball over the top and the ball fell to Chirinos who applied the left-footed finish.
Chirinos was again the catalyst for the second Honduras goal in the 56th minute, making a run down the left and serving forward Alberth Elis for an easy tap-in at the edge of the six-yard box and a 2-0 lead.
The Guatemalans made for an interesting finish, scoring a spectacular free kick goal through Diego Alvarez in the 74th minute. And only a double save by Honduras goalkeeper Roberto Lopez prevented an 87th minute equalizer.
Roster Honduras Roberto López, Kevin Álvarez, Jhonatan Paz, Luis Santos, Carlos Moncada, Michaell Chirinos Rolin Álvarez, Jhow Benavídez, Kevin López, John Paul Suazo, Deybi Flores, Alberth Elis y Bryan Róchez
Coach: Jorge Jiménez
Nicholas Hagen Godoy, Kevin Grualva González, Cristian Jiménez Martínez, René Maltes Obregón (Pablo Aguilar, min.46), Carlos Estrada Santos, Diego Álvarez Escobar, Stheven Robles Ruiz, Julio Ortiz Roca, Jose Ruíz Rumph, Mario Hernández Pocasangre Christopher Ortiz, Kevin Bordon, Mauro Portillo Arroyo
Coach: Carlos Ruiz
The 2015 New Zealand FIFA World Cup will be begin on 30 May through June 20, 2015. The CONCACAF teams that qualified for the 2015 U20 World Cup in New Zealand are Honduras, Mexico, Panama and the USA
More about Honduras Soccer
More about Honduras